Any pilots here? Plane or Helo?

Topic by Trailboss

Trailboss

Home Forums Cool S~~~ & Fun Stuff Any pilots here? Plane or Helo?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Trailboss  Trailboss 6 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    +3
    Trailboss
    Trailboss
    Participant

Hey…are any of you trained pilots? My bucket list includes learning to fly. A Helicopter, preferably….But a small plane, Cessna and the like. Can I do that with one leg? Right leg gone, above the knee. I have a prosthetic. You can’t even tell by looking at me, I have had many people tell me…not with pants on. But…based on your experience: can a one legged dude fly a helo? Should I concentrate on a small plane? I am serious! I looked into the cost: not an issue. Just want to know. Thanks!

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.

+3
    Rotor79
    Rotor79
    Participant

Hello Trailboss! I fly both and I’ll say that the feeling of the pedals in a helicopter is really sensitive. Presise control is critical. It depends on many things. How well can you feel vibration and know when you are making a control correction? These questions you can answer to yourself. I’m not downplaying an airplanes rudders but airplanes like to fly helicopters don’t, you have to make them.

If I were you I’d go to a good school and ask them, take an introductory flight in both types of aircraft and see for yourself. Helicopters are a gray area but I beleive an airplane could be a goal. Try it Brother. Keeps us posted!

+1
    May 7 2020
    may 7 2020
    Participant

I’ll ask only because I am ignorant…rudder pedals work together in opposition, 20 pounds down on the left is 20 pound up on the right? yes?

Can he use a bicycle toe clip to pull up on the one side? I can use a toe clip or a cleat to ride a bike using one pedal, one legged cyclists do it that way.

oh stupid me, there was a WWI fighter pilot who lost both legs, and came back for WWII. When he was shot down and captured, damaged a leg, the British had a truce and airdropped a new leg for him.

what was his name

+1
    MG-ɹǝʍo┴
    MG-ɹǝʍo┴
    Participant

Can you get enough stroke with your prosthetic to ride a bicycle? You’ll need to in order to operate steering and rudder, I guess you could rig up a push/pull saddle for you good foot on that peddle like a bicycle. I recommend flight school weather or not you want to fly private, commercial, or unlicensed aircraft. I can fly rotary and fixed in rc models and finished flight school for single engine private pilot but never got a license. I learned to fly by myself without instruction with scratch built RC planes then on to rotary wing. I have thousands of hours in the simulator and countless days with RC amphibious, fixed gear, and Aerobatics with both fixed and rotary.

If you don’t try it, you will regret it for the rest of your life!

Vision is the most important thing for piloting anyway. How’s your vision? 20/20?

+1
    May 7 2020
    may 7 2020
    Participant
    +1
    May 7 2020
    may 7 2020
    Participant

couldn’t someone make a seat that swivels that mimics rudder action? just change the direction and location of the input…lol seat of the pants flying.

+1
    Trailboss
    Trailboss
    Participant

Ok all! Thank you for the responses! I *can* ride a bike…Haven’t used clips, just kind of push with the left, until the right pedal is ready to be pushed on, then I push on it. I was always afraid of the clips, cus what if I start to fall to the right? Have to have the right leg free to work it out. But..for an aircraft? Maybe…I dunno. I know they have adapters and stuff…never liked the idea. What if I had to fly something in an emergency, that didnt have the adapters? I learned to drive using left foot to gas/brake…took a few hours but…no problem. Can’t drive a stick though…Love the links 57! Inspirational! Maybe a small plane is the answer Rotor! Love to fly a helo…but…in the end, I just want to fly!

+1
    MG-ɹǝʍo┴
    MG-ɹǝʍo┴
    Participant

I’m not downplaying an airplanes rudders but airplanes like to fly helicopters don’t, you have to make them.

I went up in a heli once! Squeaky squeal shaky bakey s~~~box! I can’t repair them worth a s~~~ either! Between the incidence, dihedrial, and balance (that’s if your JC nut shaft is perfectly straight and true) and everything’s right, they still shake and wobble! F~~~ THAT! Then there’s ring vortex that claimed my best flying heli sideways into the wind! It did the opposite of what I told it to do! Just like a WOMAN! DOUBLE F~~~ THAT! Rotor79, you’re f~~~ing CRAZY! HELLIVATOR TO VALHALLA!

Airplanes swoosh through the air nice and smooth like a Cadillac! They only shake when you go too fast!

+1
    Rotor79
    Rotor79
    Participant

May 7, the rudder pedals in a plane are independent and antitorque pedals in a whirly are like you mention. of each other’s movements. Toe brakes on most airplanes pedals. As far as swiveling chairs, would be rough to fly in turbulence.

The article about Ms Duckworth is great. Thanks for sharing.

Trailboss another for of flight to consider is a powered parachute. Persue them all.

MGTOWER I’ve been told that more than once lol!

+1
    Trailboss
    Trailboss
    Participant

I hear ya Rotor! I like the articles 57 linked! I am waiting on a call back from a dude that runs a flight program in NJ. One way or the other, I WILL learn to fly! Ultra-lights if I have to! I have jumped out of many perfectly good aircraft! Now I want to be the pilot! Cus…you know…pilots get chicks! LoL!

+2
    Maddlad
    Maddlad
    Participant

I fly RC planes, does that count? 😀

+2
    Trailboss
    Trailboss
    Participant

I used to check out a big ball field in the area where all the dudes go to fly their RC planes and stuff….amazing, expensive hobby bro! Some really cool gear!

+1
    Maximus Aurelius
    Maximus Aurelius
    Participant

Being a pilot myself, Its hard to imagine flying with only one leg.
    Its not a question of ‘ can you fly straight and level’ at 2000ft.

But more a question of can you control the aircraft when things go south quickly…There are many factors that effect Yaw control, especially close to the ground. such as in cross wind situations when you have to use cross control inputs to manage surface conditions.

I completely understand your love of flying and especially Helos..
    You may check into getting a ‘Sport’ Pilot license as it does not require as many hours of training, and allows people that just want to fly for fun more access to the art of flying..

Good luck, and fly safe!

Meditating on the Wisdom & Truths of Man, Isn't just a Philosophy, but a Calling......Be willing to be Called a Man!

+1
    MG-ɹǝʍo┴
    MG-ɹǝʍo┴
    Participant

I fly RC planes, does that count?

F~~~ yea bro! Weather inside or outside the aircraft your biology wasn’t designed for flight! That was my biggest disappointment when I first flew the real thing, you can’t tell what your doing without reading the gauges! They’re just as easy to stall!

You can’t tell how fast you’re approaching yourself with an RC and rely on experience alone just by how it’s handling, same as the real thing, you can’t tell how fast you’re going nor true horizon or level plane, without instruments you’re bobbing, yawing, slowing down, speeding up, ascending and descending You need the altimeter and horizon indicator! Your limited senses don’t have the necessary input like a bird. I’m sure a bird can fly with it’s eyes closed, whereas we can’t! Instrument flight rules (IFR) without instruments will be likely crash in bad weather conditions (flying blind).

Maddlad
    Maddlad
    Participant

I used to check out a big ball field in the area where all the dudes go to fly their RC planes and stuff….amazing, expensive hobby bro! Some really cool gear!

It certainly is fun mate. It doesnt have to be too expensive though. I have plenty of rc planes but i recently bought a fantastic plane called an E-Flite Valiant for around $300 Australian. Its an electric foamy with SAFE technology which will keep the plane level to avoid stalling or rolling over and crashing while its on. You can set it up to be able to switch the SAFE on and off if you like, so once you get better you can do loops, barrel rolls, knife edge flight etc with it and its so much fun. I bought the BNF (bind n fly) version coz i have a transmitter already, but i’m sure you could get set up for around $500 U.S if you wanted to try, including battery, chargers and transmitter etc.
    Its the best thing to do as its so much fun and foamies allow you to repair them with CA glue and sellotape in minutes.

If you like flying its worth a try. 🙂

Maddlad
    Maddlad
    Participant

I fly RC planes, does that count?

F~~~ yea bro! Weather inside or outside the aircraft your biology wasn’t designed for flight! That was my biggest disappointment when I first flew the real thing, you can’t tell what your doing without reading the gauges! They’re just as easy to stall!

You can’t tell how fast you’re approaching yourself with an RC and rely on experience alone just by how it’s handling, same as the real thing, you can’t tell how fast you’re going nor true horizon or level plane, without instruments you’re bobbing, yawing, slowing down, speeding up, ascending and descending You need the altimeter and horizon indicator! Your limited senses don’t have the necessary input like a bird. I’m sure a bird can fly with it’s eyes closed, whereas we can’t! Instrument flight rules (IFR) without instruments will be likely crash in bad weather conditions (flying blind).

Thanks for the insight Tower. Ive never flown a plane myself. I was going to be a pilot in the Australian Air Force when i was in high school (and Top Gun had just come out :)) but i found out my blood type doesnt allow me to. 🙂

Trailboss
    Trailboss
    Participant

Interesting stuff Maddlad! Looks fun as hell too! I know there are some shops around my area that sell that gear. I will check it out!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The MGTOW Forums are for registered red-pill Men only. There are no exceptions. All females may exit immediately. Have you read The MGTOW Forums Guidelines (Last Updated 2015.01.02)? Please check it occasionally. Before you submit a post, kindly remember you are an important representative of
MGTOW | Men Going Their Own Way.

Trigger Warning EMERGENCY EXIT